You will be amazed at how the target of powerful basketball players teaches you an important lesson in drawing with basic shapes. If you are a basketball fan, then this exercise comes as an added plus.
- Draw a couple of mutually perpendicular lines for the backboard. Taking them as guides, make a double bordered hexagonal shape with an arched top.
- Draw the nets backboard as a square with a double border. It is to be placed near the base but should be laterally at the center of the figure drawn in the previous step.
- Draw a semi-oval shape with a double margin at the base of the square.
- With double lines, create the thick fibers that make the frontal part of the net. They collectively form a cone-like structure.
- Similarly, complete the back-side of the net taking a note of the overlapping fibers.
- You can use a compass or a coin to draw the outline of the basketball that sits snugly at the top of the net with more than one half popping outside.
- Detail the basketball with curved lines that cross its body.
Your sketch is complete. Make it lively by filling it up with colors. Since the drawing needs accurate lines and curves for the perfect structure, you might need to practice a bit before you are satisfied with your creation.