Drawing a giraffe is quite a difficult task, especially for kids. Although, a cartoon giraffe is easier to draw than a realistic one, cartoon drawing is usually unsuitable for school projects or drawing classes. Follow the easy steps given below to draw a neat realistic giraffe.
- Start by drawing an oval, making it as large as you want your giraffe’s body to be.
- Now, draw the long neck followed by a rough triangle at the top. The small triangle will later be the giraffe’s head. (picture 1)
- Add a smaller triangle at either side of the head followed by a pair of horn like projections (ossicones) as shown in picture 2.
- Draw an outline for the tail.
- See picture 3 to draw the long front legs along with the outlined hoofs.
- Next, start working on the hind legs in the similar manner (picture 4).
- Leave the outlined body as it is for now and start re-doing the head and face. Check picture 5 to see how to draw the ears, ossicones, eyes, nostrils and mouth.
- Mark the leg joints with small circles as done in picture 5.
- Redo the large oval you drew in step 1 to make the body look realistic (picture 6).
- Then, erase the outlined tail drawn in step 3 and draw it again as shown in picture 6
- Now it is time to work on the legs again. Erase the part of the body just above the upper legs and draw the long legs like picture 7.
- Then, erase the small circles drawn for the leg joints. See picture 7 to make the joints look more realistic.
Now, all that is left to do is drawing the characteristic blotched markings on your giraffe’s body. See picture 8 to draw the randomly shaped marks and your giraffe picture is complete.