As December draws near, all kids can think of is the Christmas tree, Santa Claus and exciting presents. Those with an artistic knack might already be planning handmade ornaments and decorations. Here is an easy to follow step-by-step drawing of Santa Claus for kids. A neat Santa drawing makes an amazing themed wall decoration along with pictures of the Christmas tree, snowflakes and reindeers.
- Like most other figure drawings, start by making a neat circle for the head of your Santa Claus. Follow it up with a large oval angled a little to the right with the circle sitting on top of it (as shown in picture 1). The oval is the outline of your Santa’s beard.
- Draw two curved lines within the circle made earlier; make sure they are intercepting each other at the center of the circle as shown in the picture.
- Next, draw the outline for a brimmed Santa hat on top of his head (the circle) with a small circle for the pom pom as shown in picture 2
- Now, see picture 3 and draw a small circle (for the right hand) right next to the oval beard outline, followed by a pair of elongated ovals attached to each other in a right angle (for the right arm).
- Check out picture 4 to draw a simple outline for your Santa’s fluffy overcoat.
- Now add a border to the coat outline for the snowy white brim, followed by a huge sack full of presents on his back as shown in picture 5.
- Also, do not forget to make another small circle at the right side of the coat (picture 5) for the left hand.
- Time to start working on his feet, starting with the two large “U” visible below the coat as shown in picture 6
- Follow them up with two tiny ovals for the feet (picture 7).
- The outline sketch is complete, so it is time to work over the outlines to make the fair drawing. See picture 8 to start with Santa’s face and draw his large nose, characteristic thick moustaches and his laughing mouth.
- Next, draw a pair of funny round eyes before working over the large oval (made in step one) to replace it with Santa’s long, white beard (picture 9).
- Once the face is done, the next thing to do is drawing the velvet hat with furry rims and a fluffy pom pom on top as shown in picture 10. The head is now complete.
- See picture 11 and work on his right arm to make it look more realistic.
- Now see picture 12 to work on the right hand to replace the circle with a mitten. Next, draw the furry cuff for the right sleeve and the handle for the sack Santa is holding in his right hand.
- Follow the red lines made in picture 13 to work over the outlines made for the right side of your Santa Claus jacket. The thin parallel lines running above the brim of the jacket are made for his iconic black belt.
- Now it is time to work on the left side of his costume. Complete the belt with a large buckle before drawing the left sleeve cuff, followed by a small bell held in his left hand as shown in picture 14.
- Your drawing is almost complete with the only part left being the booted legs of your Santa Claus. Work over the outlined ovals you made in step 3 to draw the right leg and boot (picture 15).
- See picture 16 and draw the left leg as you did the right one. Make sure to carefully erase any remaining pencil lines from the earlier outline drawing.
- Now comes the fun part as your drawing is done. Fill the drawing with the suitable colors as shown in picture 17 to bring your Santa Claus to life.
You can also draw the Santa head from this drawing. All you need to do is follow the instructions given for the head part, ignore those for drawing the body and you will achieve a Santa head drawing as shown in picture 10.